Search This Blog

Friday, July 19, 2013

Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookies


While  I maintain a love for everything sugar, I decided to try something a little different. I recently discovered that my ph balance is consistently "very acidic" which has me a little worried. Lately I've been trying to make an effort of making better food decisions. I will tell you right now, I enjoy food. Food is life in my eyes and I feel like I should be able to enjoy whatever I want to. With that said as a thirty-something who already has autoimmune issues I know I need to make some changes.
 
While strolling the grocery a couple of days ago I was checking out the expanded section on sugars. Sugar in the Raw, Agave Sugar, Coconut Sugar...
I was intrigued by the coconut sugar. It is unrefined and retains it's natural vitamins and minerals. From what I understand, the sugar comes from the nectar of the coconut flower which is boiled then granulated.
 
M'kay...sounds good to me! I recently made the switch from using butter to coconut oil in most recipes so I thought, "why not?"

 As a cookie baker, you usually start with the cookie base of creaming butter and sugar together. In this case it is coconut oil and coconut sugar.
 
Coconut Base Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/4 cup coconut oil

1/2 cup unrefined coconut sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 Tablespoon agave nectar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup chocolate chips (I use milk chocolate!)

Directions:

1.) Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2.) In a mixing bowl, cream coconut oil and coconut sugar together.

3.) Add in egg, vanilla, and agave nectar to the creamed oil and sugar.

4.) Sift salt, baking powder, baing soda, and flour together. Slowly begin adding the sifted dry ingredients into the creamed mixture until well incorporated.

5.) Stir in chocolate chips and drop onto a baking sheet 2 Tablespoon sizes of dough each.

6.) Baking in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until lighted golden in the edges.

** This recipe make 12 cookies. **

My mini baker helping me out.

Cookie dough before it goes into the oven.

Cookie dough after it comes out of the oven.


My family and I found these cookies to be a great alternative to their buttery and sugary counterparts. They are less sweet but maintain a great light sweet and hearty flavor. My 7 year old had no idea these cookies were any different and I have a picky one so that tells me something!



Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. All of us need to reduce sugar and carbs in our diets as we get older, bah humbug. But these look amazing! Love the cakey texture. Definitely worth trying!

    ReplyDelete